Clear all

Uber Funky Riff 2 minute lesson

11 Posts
5 Users
11 Likes
(@clayton)
Community Manager
Topic starter

Bring it On!  I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!

Gonna Need a longer backing track to sweat that Funk out.

Posted : March 1, 2019 11:55
kweho911 reacted
(@kweho911)

Agreed!!

Posted : March 2, 2019 11:22
(@clayton)
Community Manager
Topic starter

There be some challenging parts to this lesson.  I have yet to play this at speed.

Posted : March 2, 2019 13:32
(@wobbly_bob)
Noble Member

Its a real corker as we say down under

Posted : March 2, 2019 16:17
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

Uncork it, guys! You can do it!

Posted : March 2, 2019 22:06
kweho911 reacted
(@kweho911)

OMG!

hitting that E chord at 12th fret!!

Posted : March 3, 2019 09:51
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Awesome. What a really sweet lick. Looks to be challenging but really fun to play!

Nicely done Robert! Thanks!

Posted : March 3, 2019 10:08
kweho911 reacted
(@clayton)
Community Manager
Topic starter

Here's the Deep C studios take on Uber Funky Riff.  I've resolved to get back into the habit of recording, and ye ole timers of the MGA will no doubt remember my draw to creating theme variations in multi-track projects.  

Uber Funk-in E

I could only get a fair take at 85 bpm, and could not get more than two rounds of the complete riff without falling off the rails.  So after hitting a plateau and getting punchy, I turned toward making a tune that borrowed the backing track and worked some variations.  Looks like its more practice of this Uber Funky Riff for me.   Enjoy.

Posted : March 3, 2019 17:14
kweho911 and robert reacted
(@wobbly_bob)
Noble Member

I'm freakin' lovin' this. Getting my funk on. Triple voicing! That ain't easy. Great balance of tones and really funky riffs there. Clayton you have created a really listenable quality piece. I will be adding this to my daily play list. 😍

Posted : March 3, 2019 18:41
Clayton reacted
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

That's awesome Clayton!

Those fast muted strums on that E9 chord can definitely be simplified, just as you did here.  

Me diggin' those chords you be layin' down! Sweet.

Posted : March 3, 2019 22:07
(@clayton)
Community Manager
Topic starter

Many Thanks for your good words and appreciation.  I definitely had to adapt for speed and accuracy, but wanted to share as an example of working with the skills available and the value of smaller supporting track elements.  There's something every guitar slinger can play and contribute, and that contribution does not have to flash to add strong value to a tune.

My multi-traks reflect working within limits, making the best of what you have, and the value of recording, especially when your are trying to reach a goal.

Cheers!

Posted : March 4, 2019 06:32
robert and wobbly_bob reacted
Share: