Clear all

Roberts Live Stream Blues Lesson

13 Posts
5 Users
6 Likes
(@wobbly_bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I just watched the stream regarding major and minor scales and Am loving it!

Here is just a quick snippet of improvisation over an  E Shuffle using the ideas from the stream.

Let me know. 😎 

Posted : June 16, 2019 20:40
Clayton reacted
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

Yes, there we go! You got it!

How do you get your tone? I forget. It sounds cool.

You can also try playing the same licks in both positions. Sometimes, it can sound really cool. 

That major blues scale box is great for the 1 chord and 5 chord. It’s a bit trickier on the 4 chord, because that major 3rd for E (G#) is bad one for A... but it can be done with some thought to it.

Also, try bending that note B and whole step, using that major blues scale box. 12th fret, B string. I usually use the ring finger. That note sounds good over all 3 chords.

Kind of a similar idea, the F# on G string (11th fret) is cool since you can bend it into Minor 3rd OR Major 3rd... gives you some great options.

Posted : June 16, 2019 21:03
(@wobbly_bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted by: robert

Yes, there we go! You got it!

How do you get your tone? I forget. It sounds cool.

You can also try playing the same licks in both positions. Sometimes, it can sound really cool. 

That major blues scale box is great for the 1 chord and 5 chord. It’s a bit trickier on the 4 chord, because that major 3rd for E (G#) is bad one for A... but it can be done with some thought to it.

Also, try bending that note B and whole step, using that major blues scale box. 12th fret, B string. I usually use the ring finger. That note sounds good over all 3 chords.

Kind of a similar idea, the F# on G string (11th fret) is cool since you can bend it into Minor 3rd OR Major 3rd... gives you some great options.

Wow yeah right on.  I see what you are saying.  Thanks! You are awesome!

Posted : June 16, 2019 21:14
robert reacted
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

Not everyone loved this video. Here's a youtube comment:

"I think some people might not like what I am going to write here, but I am going to do it anyway. I am disappointed. From the title, it seems like we are going to learn something, but in the video, I was ready to turn it off after 21 minutes, because I had learned nothing up to that point. Please stop playing so much, if we want to hear you play, you have hundreds of other videos we can watch. What we are here for is a lesson, not a performance. Of course you can give examples and show how to do something, but if you are just playing over a backing track for several minutes at a time with no purpose, you are just wasting people’s time. I don’t want to discourage you, but as a teacher, you should have a clear idea of what you want to teach when you do a lesson, and yet you show the same chart again and again, and play over a backing track for long periods of time, which I have to say, gives me nothing. Maybe someone else can get something from that, but it went over my head. Admittedly, there is no description of what the content of the video will be, apart from the title, but I think it is safe to assume from that, that we might learn something, and not only look at a chart and listen to you playing. From the title, I assumed it would be something good for a beginner, (“How to …” suggests we might learn ‘how to do something’, right?) and yet at over half way in, I cannot say I learned anything yet. I decided to watch on, to see if there might be anything in this lesson, and you started to take questions from the internet. It turns out this was a live stream you recorded, with the purpose of advertising your website and Youtube channel better. Sign up, so you can get custom emojis, lovely. I will be sure to do that. You also need to read the questions you are answering, because if we didn’t take part in the stream, we have no idea what is on your screen, so we don’t know what the person was asking. We can work it out from your answer, but it helps to know, right? I watched for another 10 minutes, but when you started to talk about the difference between digital amps and the real deal, I turned off, because I couldn’t see the connected with the major and minor pentatonic scale and that. I guess the best nugget of knowledge you gave was when you said, “When you have a minor pentatonic, or a minor blues scale, move it down three frets, then you get the major pentatonic, or major blues scale, for that key.” However, for 30 minutes of video, and 10 more to go, I am afraid you need more for people to keep watching."

Posted : June 17, 2019 09:48
(@wobbly_bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Yeah, occasionally you get someone who hasn't realized that we play the guitar mostly with our EARS, not our eyes.

Posted : June 17, 2019 14:27
robert reacted
(@hillbilly_joe)
Prominent Member

Wow! With that type of comment, that guitar teacher seems to be a type that would just push his lessons down his /her students throats .

Posted : June 17, 2019 15:45
(@clayton)
Community Manager

Craig, that was spanking good solo work over the shuffle.  Just enough raw edge in the tone and control in your fingers- very nice.  

Robert, nice insight on those B and F# bends working for each chord.  Now I have to watch the live stream and see what all the poo-pooing was about!

Posted : June 17, 2019 17:17
robert reacted
(@wobbly_bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted by: Clayton

Craig, that was spanking good solo work over the shuffle.  Just enough raw edge in the tone and control in your fingers- very nice.  

Robert, nice insight on those B and F# bends working for each chord.  Now I have to watch the live stream and see what all the poo-pooing was about!

Thanks Clayton, really great to hear from you. What a great lesson .

Posted : June 18, 2019 00:43
(@wobbly_bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter

BTW I replied to the dude who posted the lengthy whinge.

See below

Gee you missed a lot then, never forget we learn mostly through listening. Here are some things mentioned that you seemed to have missed.

Play the same riff in major then minor positions
Be wary of the G# note when playing over the 5.(when in E) Difficult but can be done.
E major blues scale is the same one used over a c# minor blues scale.
When using a chromatic style look for a target note to land on.

Each of these points was followed up with a sonic example that paved the way to make a neural pathway if you have the EARS to hear it.

Posted : June 18, 2019 00:44
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

Thanks Craig, appreciated. I don't get people who take the time to write lengthy complaints like that about a FREE lesson... 

Posted : June 18, 2019 15:31
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

By the way, I think I actually touched on the G# note when playing over the 4 chord. It's not so much a problem over the 5 chord. 

Posted : June 18, 2019 15:32
(@wobbly_bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted by: robert

By the way, I think I actually touched on the G# note when playing over the 4 chord. It's not so much a problem over the 5 chord. 

Yeah I knew that in my mind must be a typo. I will edit the comment so as not to look like a complete numb nut 😂

Posted : June 18, 2019 17:08
robert reacted
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Robert, Bummer re that complaining guy! There's always one jerk in every crowd. Don't let him get to you. Some people just can't be satisfied. I'm sorry to say I haven't yet been able to get to the live lesson but it is most definitely on my list to watch.

Posted : June 18, 2019 20:06
robert reacted
Share: