Live Stream Jan 22 at 7:30 pm MST

15 Posts
7 Users
11 Likes
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

Watch the archived stream here!

I will present some pentatonic scale ideas.

Got any questions in advance? I got a question about technique, so I'll talk about that too.

Posted : January 22, 2020 10:34
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

@robert, is that my question about technique?  If not, you know my question. 😊   Actually, the triplet pull off is, surprisingly, improving with woodshedding.  But if time allows, maybe a minute or two on any practice techniques or suggestions on how to work this?  It's better and I do know it will take time. But I'm just not getting the volume on the third note yet.

Thanks, Ron

Posted : January 22, 2020 11:12
robert reacted
(@clayton)
Community Manager

Tis my Funky Drummer practice night, I'll have to watch replay!

Get on with that Triplet, Ron!!!

Posted : January 22, 2020 11:50
(@wesley)

Re: Pentatonic/Blues scale lessons - what would you like to see? I'm embarrassed to write in the comment area. For me, it's difficult to ask a question about something I know little about. Seems you have a lot of advanced followers and I get that they should be your focus for lessons. I learn little things by watching and listening but my light bulb still hasn't come on. I'd love something that goes way back to when you started. When your light bulb came on and you could visualize things in your mind before or as you played. I've diagrammed the entire fret-board, I've isolated all the octave notes and played them many times to memorize them. I am yet to be able to look at a string/fret and name the note, let alone the triad or chord formation along the neck. I've tried to learn the CAGED and pentatonic formations along the neck, but still not there. I'm wondering if it will ever come together.

Posted : January 22, 2020 12:42
wobbly_bob and JestMe reacted
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Posted by: @wesley

Re: Pentatonic/Blues scale lessons - what would you like to see? I'm embarrassed to write in the comment area. For me, it's difficult to ask a question about something I know little about. Seems you have a lot of advanced followers and I get that they should be your focus for lessons. I learn little things by watching and listening but my light bulb still hasn't come on. I'd love something that goes way back to when you started. When your light bulb came on and you could visualize things in your mind before or as you played. I've diagrammed the entire fret-board, I've isolated all the octave notes and played them many times to memorize them. I am yet to be able to look at a string/fret and name the note, let alone the triad or chord formation along the neck. I've tried to learn the CAGED and pentatonic formations along the neck, but still not there. I'm wondering if it will ever come together.

That looks like a beautiful guitar you are using as an icon. Mind if I ask you about it? What make/model is it?

Great question/topic for discussion.

Not that I'm there yet, but in my opinion, fretboard mastery is not a short path. You may be able to learn a new song really quick, but regarding fretboard mastery, at least for me, it takes a while for the light bulbs to flip on.  

Here is a course Robert did a few years ago, that might be helpful.  If you are a member, you can check it out here.

It is an exercise / drill to help burn the note locations into your brain and fingers. Each of the 7 lessons focus on a different natural note [no sharps or flats] - 7 lessons and 7 notes. 

So I ask, is it a coincidence that there are 7 natural notes and 7 days of the week...? I think not!!!

I do a variation of this exercise... depending on the number of the day of the week, I start with the same note number. For instance...

• Sunday is day 1 - Do the exercise with A
  • Monday is day 2 - Do the exercise with B
  • Tuesday - day 3 - Do the exercise with the note C
  • Wednesday - day 4 - Do the exercise with the note D
  • Thursday - day 5 - Do the exercise with the note E
  • Friday - day 6 - Do the exercise with the note F
  • Saturday - day 7 - Do the exercise with the note G

Today, I do all 12 notes ... beginning with the note of the day and running the cycle of 4ths... each day!

Didn't mean to make such a long post... 

Posted : January 22, 2020 13:27
wobbly_bob reacted
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

@wesley

Let me be very clear.  Robert has some "not so advanced followers" as well.  Namely me!  I've worked all those "projects" you described and I often have the same doubts.  I'm still trying to learn those  d@#$%# pentatonic boxes all over the fretboard.  My experience has been that this is one very polite, considerate bunch of Robert followers and no one is ever going to be critical of your asking " a question about something I know little about."   The incredibly newbie questions I have asked are proof of that!

Posted : January 22, 2020 13:30
(@wobbly_bob)
Noble Member

@wesley

You really shouldnt waste your time being embarrassed. For me light bulb moments happen all the time. Knowledge is a moving target and we all adapt and grow at our own rate.  Some things just cant be rushed. 

Like scales.   I can recall a famous violin virtuoso ( cant recall his name and he was 95 years old at the time) when asked "I noticed that you still practice scales for an hour a day,  why do you do that?" To which he replied " I really think Im making progress"

I've been playing for a while now and yet the newness and wonder about what I will be learning next hasn't diminished at all.  In fact it is stronger than ever.  

Good students all learn from each other. So when you ask your questions it might just be the moment that other players have their Ah-Ha moment.  And on that note,  what a great idea Chris ( jestme) on doing scale practice on days of the week.  I think I will incorporate that into my routine.  Thanks mate!

Posted : January 22, 2020 13:48
JestMe reacted
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

Where's the Link?  It's not on the Member page.  The files are.

Posted : January 22, 2020 20:27
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

Watch the archived stream here!

Posted : January 22, 2020 20:32
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

@robert

That was a hugely educational, helpful lesson.  Anyone that couldn't watch it last night should catch it on the replay.  I know I need to get back to work on Penta scales.

Thank you!

Posted : January 23, 2020 08:44
robert reacted
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks!

I am thinking that perhaps I should make this into a regular course, where I explain things like I did here, but I add all these exercises with the close-up view and backing track, for those who want to go through all these variations.

What say ye?

Posted : January 23, 2020 09:45
sgmoct reacted
(@clayton)
Community Manager

Sad I missed it live, but praise the powers for playback.

Posted : January 23, 2020 10:30
robert reacted
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

@robert

I, for one, think it would be an excellent idea for a course.  Pentatonic scales are so fundamental to so many things we do, although primarily soloing, it demands a course.  The lesson last night, as I said, was very informative.  But because of the time limitations some of the exercises you showed couldn't be expanded upon.  Those exercises with the close ups and more thorough explanations would be very helpful.

Posted : January 23, 2020 11:10
robert reacted
(@zwantedone)

The Jan 22 live stream lesson was excellent Robert! Basically showed me how much I don't know about the pentatonic scale. I think your idea of expanding this into a regular course is a good idea, and hope you will do so. That was a lot of info you put out,and to break it into smaller pieces would be helpful. I need to watch it again, and take notes...Will

Posted : January 24, 2020 07:44
robert reacted
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Very helpful and inspiring session, as always. Thanks for doing them.

Posted : January 24, 2020 08:47
robert reacted
Share: