Funky, Bouncy Lick

11 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

It's funkey - ay!

I love this style of playing. Notice that I pick harder on the downbeats.

https://www.masterguitaracademy.com/lesson/funky-bouncy-jazzy-guitar-lick/

Posted : December 28, 2018 17:02
(@clayton)
Community Manager

I am really into working Dom7 chords and looking back to see if/when and how the maj7 key applies, and then using the 6th/9th chord structures work with the Dom7th.  Now this use of the Lydian 4th for flavor opens the door a little more to seeing the whole fretboard and chord interplay.

Posted : December 28, 2018 21:22
(@clayton)
Community Manager

Fun- 😎 has me playing from Lydian and exploring hooks.  RR, can you post a much longer jam trak?

Posted : December 29, 2018 08:00
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

Your wish is my command. It's now 6 minutes and I made a small change to the groove too. Dig it?

But there is no Lydian 4 here. Why do you think that? This lick is just plain E Mixolydian.

Posted : December 29, 2018 12:40
Clayton reacted
(@clayton)
Community Manager

Huzzah, yeah baby, I dig it.

I'm looking at the E7 as mixolydian in an Amajor scale.   Und, thus der D ist 4 chord.

Posted : December 29, 2018 13:18
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

Well there is nothing Lydian about the jam track or the lick. It's E Mixolydian.

If it had been E Lydian Dominant, it would have had an A# in there. Had it been A Lydian, it would have had a D# in there.

I recommend viewing this as E Mixolydian instead of A Major, because the key center is E, not A.

Posted : December 29, 2018 13:55
(@clayton)
Community Manager

Mmmmm, I'm confused.  If the key was A, then E would be mixolydian, and (here's where I may be wrong or myopic) D would be lydian which has that b5 in lieu of a natural 4th.  I think I might need more schooling or flexibility.

Posted : December 29, 2018 19:03
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

The key is E, but not E major. It's E7, so it's E Mixolydian. I'm not sure what you are thinking here.

Posted : December 29, 2018 22:16
(@clayton)
Community Manager

I think I'm too rigid in my key concepts (no pun intended).  If I was to harmonize this E7, would not the effectively follow A?  Sorry, not trying to be a dotard.

Posted : December 30, 2018 19:18
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

Well the notes of A are the same as E Mixolydian, but you should know the Mixolydian and use that instead. The reason is because the key center. The chord isn't A, so thinking A is playing in the wrong court, so to speak. 

Sounds like more lessons on this is needed?

Posted : December 31, 2018 01:04
(@clayton)
Community Manager

Funny you should mention more lessons on this concept.  I understand the key center as the identity and would play the jam that way, but sometimes I need to see the scale from a different vantage point so that I don't get too myopic about the Root.  BUT, I am not sure if anybody else at MGA is reading this and scratching their heads, and hopefully not thinking "that Clayton's a fool."   😦  

Does anybody else here want more info on this 2 minute lesson or the concept from the Master?

Posted : December 31, 2018 13:40
Share: