Stevie Ray Vaughan ...

Notifications
Clear all

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Mary Had a little Lamb - Live at Blues Peer (B) 16 july 1988.

16 Posts
5 Users
13 Reactions
(@stevie-dre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Everybody has his own taste and mine is Stevie Ray Vaughan and Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Today August 27 1990 31 years ago SRV dies. Mary had a little lamb is one of my favorites songs and like to share this!

Posted : August 27, 2021 13:41
Bluesiline reacted
(@bluesiline)
Prominent Member

André, you are absolutely right to remember SRV, this exceptional talent, with his circle picking, who died too early.

I came to SRV as a « late bloomer » in May 2019 when I first heard the song «Pride and Joy» on a concert with the two famous American bluegrass guitarists Rob Ickes & Trey Hensley at the Shitkicker Club in Bürglen, Switzerland. This song was played many times that evening and was from the album « When the sun goes down“.

I was fascinated by the song, I looked for more information on the internet and found out that SRV wrote this song. I didn't know much about him before, sorry. Then I heard Stevie playing „Pride and Joy“ for the first time and it really shook me. Amazing! And I began listening  to a lot more songs of him, « Mary had a little lamb », „Say what“  and so on. „Scuttle Buttin » what a rocket for me! and I watched a legends documentary about him and his live concert from 1985 at the Montreux Jazz Festival on Youtube and – became a big fan.

My favourite song is still « Pride and Joy ». But it doesn’t matter which song. I’m happy, same as you, that I still found my way into his music.

How did you find your way into Stevie's music?

Birgit

Posted : August 28, 2021 03:36
Stevie Dre reacted
(@stevie-dre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

@bluesiline What a great story to read Birgit.
pride and joy is such a great song. The whole Texas Flood Album are great songs for me. Lenny is my favorite ballad from that CD Stevie wrote it for his wife Lenny (Lenora) My desire is learn this number ever and hope to play it for my wife, but i have al long way to go.

I'am a fan from Stevie since 1989, I have al his albums and DVD's
I bought his number one guitar In 1997 and try to play his style but it was to difficult after one year i quit and hang it an the wall as a painting. Since august 2018 i picked up my guitar again and try to learn songs from Kenny Wayne Sheppherd and in the band i try to play Mary had a little lamb and Blue on Black. But to play this right is for me difficult. But is do much fun to try and every learning guitar-lick give a big smile.

By the way, i'am a Kenny Wayne Sheppherd fan since 1995.
And i own a replica SRV guitar. And the black stripes KWS guitar.
And i hope to order in a short time buy the second KWS new USA strat guitar.

Posted : August 28, 2021 09:27
Bluesiline reacted
(@bluesiline)
Prominent Member

@blues-lover 

Thanks for your reply, André. It was also interesting to read.

A very long musical relationship, and all the very special guitars you own - I’m impressed.

Thanks for mentioning «Lenny». I didn’t know this song but watched it on Youtube. What a song, emotion and energy at the same time. A virtuoso «on the guitar strings» creating an unbelievable variety of sounds. Amazing song.

André, don’t be too disappointed if you have problems learning this song. The way Stevie plays this song, is like magic, out of this world.

Please lower your high expectations and use your beautiful guitars as much as you can and enjoy your playing. I’m sure you will 😊.

And listen to this amazing song together with your wife and do enjoy the wonderful atmosphere Stevie creates while playing.

Birgit

Posted : August 28, 2021 10:55
Stevie Dre reacted
(@stevie-dre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

@bluesiline Thanks for your kind words.Yeah Stevie is the man that motivated me to pick up the guitar again. October the third on my birthday i have my first date with my wife. She didn't no that it was my birthday. She ask me in a bar on 2 hours clock at night, how old are you and and i told her since two hours i''m 30. 😊 She is my greatest present since that day.
I brought her home that night, put a CD in the player and the first song she hear was Lenny How romantic.that is! 😀 

The nice thing is that SRV birthday is october 3 just like me. only he was born in 1954 and i in 1963.
About 2 years we know each other 30 years en i'm 60 than.
Maybe i can surprise her with the song Lenny, and than me on the guitar! 😀 

Posted : August 28, 2021 12:37
Bluesiline reacted
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

It's a fun song and I am a huge SRV fan too. 

I assume you've seen this? It's a bit old but it might still be useful?

https://www.masterguitaracademy.com/course/mary-had-a-little-lamb/

Posted : August 29, 2021 09:28
Stevie Dre reacted
(@stevie-dre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

@robert Yeah 1988 is a long time ago but so good to see this back Robert. The Mary had a little lamb course is so great to practice. 👍 

Posted : August 29, 2021 12:57
(@clayton)
Community Manager

31 years... such a heartbreaking story of SRV getting in the right place through recovery, sharing his experience and the promise of so much more to come with the In Step album.  

A favorite performance is the the intimate setting of Live at the El Mocambo.

Posted : August 29, 2021 14:08
Stevie Dre reacted
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

@clayton What a wonderful point.  Everyone should watch the VH-1 documentary on SRV.  One can't help but see the shocking difference in the man pre and post recovery.  To see him absolutely glow, not when discussing music, but when discussing helping others in recovery.  And so many great songs on that album dedicated to sobriety.  "Crossfire" and "Tightrope" have always been two of my favorites from him.  But they are close 2nd and 3rd, not necessarily in that order, to "Wall of Denial".  

Posted : August 29, 2021 16:30
Stevie Dre and Clayton reacted
(@clayton)
Community Manager

@matonanjin Ron, I could not agree more with all of your points.  Wall of Denial is incredible.

Where, from Stang's Swang to Riviera Paradise, would he have gone in music, and in his heart to work the program and help others. I get chills listening to his open heart discussion and moaning solo in live renditions of Life Without You.   

Posted : August 29, 2021 18:51
Stevie Dre reacted
(@stevie-dre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

@clayton

Yeah Clayton that's a great performance the intimate setting of Live at the El Mocambo. Me and my wife has seen this a lot of time on the DVD. It's her favorite, this because we meet each other with that song!
I always happy when i come in my verry littel office withe these guitars!

See picture below!

Posted : August 30, 2021 01:20
(@stevie-dre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Guitars

Posted : August 30, 2021 01:21
Clayton reacted
(@stevie-dre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

@matonanjin Ron, i am absolutely agree! He had it all. He always plays with his heart, his soul and his special voice and with the strength he played on his guitars made him a very great talent.
In all those 33 years that i know the SRV music, i never stop listen to this guy! 😀 

Posted : August 30, 2021 01:31
(@stevie-dre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

@clayton Absolutely agree Clayton! When i see or hear SRV in interviews i see a good guy with the right heart and soul! I am happy with the music he made for us and enjoy that everyday! 👍 

Posted : August 30, 2021 01:35
Clayton reacted
(@clayton)
Community Manager

@blues-lover, beautiful office decorations!  I would not be able to get any work done with those guitars calling me.

Posted : August 30, 2021 05:29
Stevie Dre reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: