PRS teams up with J...

Notifications
Clear all

PRS teams up with Joe Walsh for new signature Limited Edition McCarty 594 Singlecut guitar

15 Posts
4 Users
8 Likes
(@clayton)
Community Manager
Topic starter

Jimmy Page's Les Paul was sold to him by Joe Walsh.

Limited to production of 200 guitars.... 

Posted : April 28, 2021 13:25
(@jncinn)

Joe's new brother-in-law is..........drum roll...........another drum roll.....Ringo!!

Ageless wonder........considering all the partying and bad stuff.......Joe's amazing in life as well as on guitar!!  Jim C.

Posted : April 28, 2021 13:50
Clayton reacted
(@clayton)
Community Manager
Topic starter

Yesterday I was wondering out loud as to when we would experience the wave of 60's era Rock Gods returning to Olympus.  

Tick Tock people, time's slipping away... Vaughan Brothers.

Posted : April 28, 2021 14:15
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @jncinn

Joe's new brother-in-law is..........drum roll...........another drum roll.....Ringo!!

Ageless wonder........considering all the partying and bad stuff.......Joe's amazing in life as well as on guitar!!  Jim C.

New? brother-in-law?  They've married quite a while I think.

But far more importantly, the PRS 594 has been on my radar for a while now.  Every review I have read raves about it.  And the 58/15 LT+ pickups sound awesome.  And the  For those that don't know the "594" refers to the scale length of the Les Paul.

From  Jazz Guitar Today, "A Classic Design Reimagined – PRS McCarty Singlecut 594 Guitar Review"

"While discussing the neck, 594 refers to the 24.594” scale length. Not too short, not too long and many would say, just right! A Les Paul player will barely notice the slight difference from the 24.75” scale they are used to and a Strat or Tele player will notice the easier tension compared to the 25.5” scale. Intonation rings true low to high. This may be splitting hairs a bit but it is also an indication of the research that went into incorporating the 24.594” scale length."

Someone, I can't remember who, said that the PRS McCarty 594 is the guitar the Les Paul would be if Gibson had continued to improve it.  But the pricing on the Walsh signature is, I'll use the word aggressive.  I think I saw it is a limited edition run of 200. 

Should I have another NGD it will be a PRS McCarty 594 or a PRS DGT (David Grissom).  That's today's thinking anyway 🤣 

Posted : April 28, 2021 19:53
Clayton reacted
(@jestme)
Noble Member

@matonanjin

Ron,

I too would like a McCarty 594 and a DGT but with my desire for lighter guitars, I tend to think semi-hollow/hollow. Now I am thinking piezo as well. So that leads me to the SE Hollowbody II Piezo. I love the idea of being able to switch from gritty biting tone to mellow acoustic tone easily. But does it really work that way...? I am a bit skeptical, with being plugged into an electric guitar amp.

What are you hearing about the SE Hollowbody II Piezo? Have you tried one yet? - thanks

Posted : April 29, 2021 06:41
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

@jestme And actually Chris the tone, playability is important.  But the most important consideration to me is weight. (You know why.)  The 594 Hollowbody II sounds and looks great.  But then I see solid body McCarty 594's advertised at 7 lbs or so and I can live with that.    But then there is a DGT advertised at that same place at 7 1/2 lbs.  That's a used one but that's just to show I can get a light one.  For quite some time I have been convinced that the next guitar was going to be a McCarty 594 but increasingly I am considering the DGT.  If you watch any of his videos about the thought and time that went into it they are convincing.  

And I also have reservations about the piezo.  Does it really allow one "to switch from gritty biting tone to mellow acoustic tone easily"?  The voluminous amount of guitar videos available but nothing I find reporting on Piezo.

do find rave reviews on your SE Hollowbody II piezo.  And I recall people on the PRS forum also raving.  But again, no one saying "The piezo works great and sounds awesome".

The only solution I see is for you to whip out the credit card and report back!

Posted : April 29, 2021 10:29
JestMe and Clayton reacted
(@clayton)
Community Manager
Topic starter

@matonanjin, Thank You for the very insightful points about the "594" scale length.  

I must admit, I'm thinking about acquiring those split humbuckers to throw into my PRS SE Tremonti Custom.  It has a 2" thick mahogany body (yes, heavy, but I'm still a young man) and a 25" scale.  Really nice player, just a little more hard rock aggressive tone pickups than I prefer.

Posted : April 29, 2021 11:01
(@jestme)
Noble Member

@matonanjin

With regards to the credit card... I have been considering it... also considering a Zelinsky LaVoce and a Line6 JTV-59... perhaps I should buy all 3!!! 😉

Thanks for the response... I believe the SE Hollowbody II Piezo is a pretty hot item these days and not available to check out locally, but I'll keep my eyes open!

Thanks again!

Posted : April 29, 2021 19:48
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @jestme

@matonanjin

Ron,

I too would like a McCarty 594 and a DGT but with my desire for lighter guitars, I tend to think semi-hollow/hollow. Now I am thinking piezo as well. So that leads me to the SE Hollowbody II Piezo. I love the idea of being able to switch from gritty biting tone to mellow acoustic tone easily. But does it really work that way...? I am a bit skeptical, with being plugged into an electric guitar amp.

What are you hearing about the SE Hollowbody II Piezo? Have you tried one yet? - thanks

Chris, there is a thread going on right now on the PRS forum about the SE Hollowbody II Piezo.  Apparently on the SE piezo one can not adjust the pots on individual strings as you can on the core piezo.  Some guy reported that on his SE Piezo the G string volume overpowered the other strings.  I don't want to discourage you in case this guy's post is absolutely bs.  Not that a forum post could be bs! 😉 🙄   Then another guy reported on his the all the strings were fine except the A string had low output.  But I'll let you study it and draw your own conclusions.

Your looking at the Line6 JTV-59 was somewhat a "blind sider".  Interesting concept.  I know you told me but what POD are you playing through?  And that Zelinsky LaVoce is fascinating!  5 pickups and piezo! 

Posted : May 1, 2021 08:34
(@jestme)
Noble Member

@matonanjin

Thanks for the info... The Zelinsky seems pretty cool. It is a solid body but super thin and therefore much lighter. The problem is that they only sell direct so you can't find them in shops, which makes it about impossible to hold one or try it out.

The JTV-59 looks like it could be very versatile and fun!!!

I have a Line6 Pod Go, which I really love. They are very reasonable price wise too. The latest ones can include wireless built in!!! I love wireless. You can use any wireless system with it but it's kind of cool to have it built in!

You are a a PRS encyclopedia. I always appreciate your insights into PRS gear. Thanks

Posted : May 1, 2021 08:48
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Well what do ya know... TFs 2nd prize giveaway for May is a... SE Hollowbody II Piezo! Wish me luck... though I am not sure I am even eligible to win it... still I will try and will keep my fingers crossed!!! If I don't win it, I hope someone else does! 😉

Posted : May 1, 2021 16:40
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @jestme

You are a a PRS encyclopedia. I always appreciate your insights into PRS gear. Thanks

Chris, thanks for the complement.  Maybe I know a little but I study them a lot.  I think I do have it narrowed down to those two I mentioned.  But what I really should go for first, what I really need, not want, is an acoustic.  I am going to be posting here soon asking for some advice on that.

Posted : May 4, 2021 00:09
JestMe and Clayton reacted
(@jestme)
Noble Member

@matonanjin

I've only played a couple and I was impressed... In addition, I have heard a lot of great things about the PRS acoustics. They seem to be a really great value. Beyond that my top 3 big shop acoustics are Collings, Martin & Taylor... in alphabetical order!!! All of which are a comfortable weight!

Good luck. Enjoy the search!

Posted : May 4, 2021 06:59
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

@jestme,  Chris, sorry.  I was not clear.  I did not mean PRS acoustic.  For acoustic, I am going to go with one of the three you mentioned and of those 3 it is probably going to be Martin.

But I also played a PRS acoustic and I also was impressed.  My wife and I were in Sioux City and had some time to kill.  So what else could one possibly do when visiting a town than visit a guitar store?!?!? 😉   It was a PRS SE but I don't remember which one.  It was not the Parlor.  But I don't remember if it was the Tonare or Angelus.  I think the latter.  But gosh it was pretty and played so nice.  

Posted : May 4, 2021 07:21
JestMe reacted
(@jestme)
Noble Member

@matonanjin

I think you should get one of each!!! Try them all out for a few years and sell any that you don't bond with! 😉

My acoustics have been gathering dust in recent years but I do have a Collings and a Martin and I love them both. My other acoustic is handmade, serial # 001. Made by yours truly with much help and mentoring from a very knowledgeable and experienced luthier! They are all special to me and I will likely never part with any of them, though one day perhaps I will add a Taylor and or PRS.

Posted : May 4, 2021 08:07
matonanjin reacted
Share: