Clear all

What Should I Do With My Gibson 325?

12 Posts
5 Users
8 Likes
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Robert's streaming lesson with his beautiful new Gibson 335 prompted me to revisit a concern that I keep wrestling with: what to do with my 1972 Gibson 325.

I bought it a few years ago.  I thought it was also beautiful but didn't at the time realize the differences between a 325 and a 335.  Those difference are: a 335 is a semi-hollowbody where a 325 is a true hollowbody, and 2) a 335 has "regular" humbuckers where a 325 has mini-humbuckers.  This last difference is what causes my slight concern.  And I stress slight concern.  It isn't that I dislike the guitar.   It is, I think, a pretty guitar.  And it is very playable.  I enjoy playing it. I'm just not crazy about the tone.

I didn't buy the guitar from a local store and so couldn't play it in person.  I bought it on-line from Gruhn Guitars. It probably wouldn't have made any difference at the time if I had played it.  I didn't have much appreciation of tone.

When I bought it and got it home, and it had the "new car smell", I was, of course, in love.  But over the last couple years, especially as I've become slightly more aware of tone, I'm not as in love.  There is nothing wrong with the tone.  It is exactly what one would expect from mini-humbuckers. If I were a jazz guy I would probably love the tone.  But it's just not the tone I'm looking for.  And, it sounds silly, there have been moments I somewhat like the tone. I don't know if it was me, or I temporarily dialed in something I liked! 🤔 

So it seems my choices are:

1. Keep it and enjoy it. Work on dialing in a tone with it I like.  That actually might be educational.
  2. Sell it and reinvest in something that I might enjoy the tone of more.  But there is nothing that I am really lusting for right now.  I know; that is sick.  Maybe a PRS 594?
  3. Replace the Mini-humbuckers with 3rd party (boutique?) pickups.  I don't know if all mini-humbuckers are going to sound similar, as thin, or if there are fuller sounding ones.  Or how big a deal would it be to put full humbuckers in?

What are your thoughts?  What would you do?

As I said, I think it really is a pretty guitar.  It's actually a little darker than what this shows:

EH6714a

You can hear the tone in this.  Through my HD POD500X and into Reaper but I don't remember what amp or pedals.

Posted : October 18, 2020 16:33
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Ron,

My first thought is a giveaway drawing... count me in!!!

I thought it sounded great. With all the different pedals and effects options around these days I bet you can dial in some great tones... then taka picture of your settings for those ahh... senior moments!!! 😉

The older I get the more time I spend thinking about the hereafter!!! Like when I walk into a room, I stop and think... what was in here after...? 😉

Kind of a nice dilemma you have there. Good luck!

Posted : October 18, 2020 20:31
(@bluesiline)
Prominent Member

Ron,

I’m glad that you are talking about this topic. This will not be an easy decision, but I can understand how you feel. You said that you have moments where you like the tone. I take this as a starting point for my answer.

Sometimes we are being slowed down by the day’s form and sensitivity of our ears. I know such conflicting emotions too. You are not the only one having these feelings, maybe this will help you.

My proposal is: If you aren’t really, really sure in point 2 and 3 ( that seems to be the case right now) you should wait until you can make a clear decision.

Up to then I would prefer point 1, and as Chris said, dial in some new tones. This could be, perhaps, a new challenge.

Enjoy your playing, Birgit

Posted : October 19, 2020 07:27
(@clayton)
Community Manager

I had this issue while in search of a "go to" acoustic.    Bottom line, Ron, you don't have a soulful connection, and that will leave the guitar gathering dust or your playing uninspired.

Life's too short to play less than happy.

Posted : October 19, 2020 09:27
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

I say go with 1 - learn how do dial in a tone with that guitar. I like what I heard. 🙂 

If you after learning and tweaking for a while still can't get no satisfaction (like Mick Jagger sings), I'd probably do 2.

There is MUCH to learn for most of us when it comes to dialling in tones though...

Posted : October 19, 2020 10:41
Clayton reacted
(@jestme)
Noble Member

So nobody else likes my idea of Ron doing a giveaway...? Ron, I'd even pay for shipping if I win it! 😉

You know I have a few guitars around here that haven't received much love in awhile. Sometimes I think I should sell/trade them in for something else... but I just can't seem to do it!!!

Each of them has been a favorite at some point in time... and I'm sure if [when] I pull them out I will love them all over again and be glad I have them...

...then again I am gassing now for a PRS Hollowbody II Piexo...   though I have never even touched one... yet. So why do I want one...? It's a sickness, I tell you!!! 😉

Posted : October 19, 2020 13:35
robert reacted
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @jestme

So nobody else likes my idea of Ron doing a giveaway...? R

No, Chris.  I suspect everybody on here "likes my idea of Ron doing a giveaway...?" Well, I actually suspect there is one dissenter 😆 😉 

Posted : October 20, 2020 08:27
JestMe reacted
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robert

I say go with 1 - learn how do dial in a tone with that guitar. I like what I heard. 🙂 

If you after learning and tweaking for a while still can't get no satisfaction (like Mick Jagger sings), I'd probably do 2.

There is MUCH to learn for most of us when it comes to dialling in tones though...

Robert, I don't believe anyone on here is going to be offended if I lend more weight to your response than the others! 😫   That is, after all, why we're here.    Sorry Chris, Clayton Birgit.😉

I'm going to keep it and work on dialing in the tones.  As I said it might be educational.  I'm sure there is MUCH to learn.  It does somewhat surprise me you like what you heard.  A place to start.

Posted : October 20, 2020 08:32
robert and JestMe reacted
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @clayton

I had this issue while in search of a "go to" acoustic.    Bottom line, Ron, you don't have a soulful connection, and that will leave the guitar gathering dust or your playing uninspired.

Life's too short to play less than happy.

Clayton I like the way you described it.  I don't have a "soulful connection".  I was going to say that I haven't bonded with the guitar as I have with my others, especially my PRS Paul's.  Same thing said another way?

It did gather dust in the corner for quite awhile.  but maybe if I can dial in that tone I'll get that connection.  If not, I can always move it down the road later.

thanx.

Posted : October 20, 2020 08:38
robert and Clayton reacted
(@clayton)
Community Manager

@matonanjin, I think you have gathered and synthesized some great perspectives.  No matter what, in your tone trials you will learn more about how to better express yourself, what works for you, and more importantly how and maybe even why.   That Why element is elusive, but the trip down How should get you closer to the nebulous fields of Why.  

Maybe you have too many guitars..... Naahhhhhhhhh, c'est impossible!

Posted : October 20, 2020 09:01
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

It could be that by trying to dial in a tone and learning more about that topic, you find out you either want to keep it, or for sure get rid of it. Either way, that avenue is one that is sure to be worthwhile going down, because it will likely help you decide the future of that guitar. 🙂 

Posted : October 20, 2020 10:16
Clayton reacted
(@clayton)
Community Manager

Somewhere in the 80's, a guitar is being ignored and neglected.

Posted : October 21, 2020 11:08
Share: