Clear all

Jazz Blues Solo J001

10 Posts
6 Users
11 Likes
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

How do you like this one? I'm happy with how it turned out. This will be a full lesson coming your way...

Posted : September 9, 2020 16:10
(@sgmoct)

Very nice! The video quality is much better here than on Facebook.  What or who was your inspiration for composing this piece?

Posted : September 9, 2020 16:14
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Yeah! Smokin'. Sounds great Robert. Looks like fun!

Posted : September 9, 2020 19:40
(@jncinn)

All that's missing here is the smoky dark back jazz room atmosphere and the clinking of mugs of beer...........Molsons............or Lone Star??!! Very sweet arrangement, Roberto!! Jim C.

Posted : September 9, 2020 20:48
JestMe and sgmoct reacted
(@bluesiline)
Prominent Member

So sweet and colourful. I like it very much, Robert. I would appreciate if you could incorporate in your lesson a few information on jazz music theory too, as you did in tenor madness. That’s very helpful to understand the common features and differences  to blues.

Thanks Birgit

Posted : September 10, 2020 01:21
sgmoct reacted
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

Thank you everyone!

What - my inspiration was that I felt like I need to provide some more jazz blues soloing ideas for you. I tend to play this way when I play jazz, and it's from many years of practicing to jazz play-alongs.

Who - my inspiration are a variety of jazz musicians. Often that will be Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Wes Montgomery. 

Some jazz theory is needed yes, it's a big topic and way deeper theory than anything else that I teach. It's a bit of a scary topic for me to teach... 

Posted : September 10, 2020 07:28
sgmoct and Clayton reacted
(@jncinn)

...........But you're up to this challenge, right??!! George Benson's it for me!! Steely Dan and their foray into jazz/blues especially utilizing Larry Carlton and other greats caught my interest but GB with his great runs outside the ole pentatonic or even blues scale plus use of double stops much like you finish this quick piece with, Robert.......but in my book if you can play and understand a great portion of this style then everything else falls into place!! Jim

Posted : September 10, 2020 07:40
sgmoct reacted
(@clayton)
Community Manager

Theory and timing- RR that's an excellent lesson preview, and I have confidence in learning the material because I have confidence in your teaching skills.  You never fail to get the concepts, details, and the feel across during instruction.

Posted : September 10, 2020 09:07
sgmoct and Bluesiline reacted
(@bluesiline)
Prominent Member

@Robert, while browsing I found this video from 2020. What a beautiful melody. I love it.

And, I have a wish for the next year 2023:

If you have time, maybe, could you do a lesson on this topic? With the melody, a bit of music theory and maybe a guide to comping too ?

I know it means a lot of work for you, but I’m firmly convinced that it will be an inspiring lesson 😊.

Birgit

Posted : December 1, 2022 04:05
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

Oh man, did I forget about this one? Seems like it, sorry! I will have to revisit this one and maybe add more to the solo. It sounds sweet and I think it would sound even better at a faster tempo.

Posted : December 1, 2022 10:17
Share: