Eric Gales - "Voodo...

Notifications
Clear all

Eric Gales - "Voodoo Child/Kashmir/Back in Black/Für Elise (Beethoven)" (Live at the 2017 DIGF)

15 Posts
5 Users
5 Likes
(@wobbly_bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Now this is awesome,   So happy so vibrant,  left handed,  but the guitar is strung right handed.  WOW!

Posted : August 23, 2018 14:40
JestMe reacted
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Oh yeah... definitely sweet stuff! Thanks

Posted : August 23, 2018 19:32
wobbly_bob reacted
(@jncinn)

Ha! I was there for this!! I could almost walk there from my home..........OK..........I could walk to the train station and take the two trains there in well under an hour...........but definitely even cooler in person!! Eric also does some really cool funk guitar lessons on YouTube and whatnot but.....unless you're Paul or Jimi............hard to decipher going southpaw to righty....I was just about to say he did a really cool cover of Kashmir AC/DC medley but that just started up as I wrote this....... Jim C.

Posted : August 23, 2018 20:35
JestMe and wobbly_bob reacted
(@wobbly_bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted by: jncinn

Ha! I was there for this!! I could almost walk there from my home..........OK..........I could walk to the train station and take the two trains there in well under an hour...........but definitely even cooler in person!! Eric also does some really cool funk guitar lessons on YouTube and whatnot but.....unless you're Paul or Jimi............hard to decipher going southpaw to righty....I was just about to say he did a really cool cover of Kashmir AC/DC medley but that just started up as I wrote this....... Jim C.

Lucky you,  must have been amazing!!

Posted : August 23, 2018 21:13
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Must have been a great show Jim...  small world huh?

I have read that Eric Gales is actually right handed but plays guitar left handed as he was taught to play by his left handed brother.

In fact, if you follow the YouTube link and read the notes, it says that!

Posted : August 24, 2018 06:22
(@jncinn)

The best deal around here for blues is right here in town! Every April Denton, TX has the greatest outdoor blues & jazz event (about 42 miles from The Gas Monkey) with guest musicians like the Blues Brothers (sans Akroyd but check out the list of greats including now the unfortunate deceased Matt "Guitar" Murphy & Steve Cropper, Jimmie Vaughn and Dr. John and the list goes on!! The best part is that entrance to the three day event: Free!! Parking: Free!! Beer............well..............the beer's quite expensive.......but what a deal!! The city's population probably doubles over these weekends but it's so worth the trip and almost always the weather is perfect!!

I believe this same deal or close with Paul McCartney..........he just felt he could play better guitar as a leftie..........Jim C.

Posted : August 24, 2018 07:42
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

Sweet, yeah Eric is the real deal! I love his playing.

Posted : August 24, 2018 11:04
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Posted by: jncinn

I believe this same deal or close with Paul McCartney..........he just felt he could play better guitar as a leftie....

We saw a Beatles tribute band [1964] a year or so ago. They did a great job... dressed like the Beatles, used the same gear and performed very well too.

When the bas player joined the group he played right handed then taught himself to play left handed to be more authentic!

Posted : August 24, 2018 14:58
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

Posted by: JestMe

Must have been a great show Jim...  small world huh?

I have read that Eric Gales is actually right handed but plays guitar left handed as he was taught to play by his left handed brother.

In fact, if you follow the YouTube link and read the notes, it says that!

That's actually correct Chris. 

We had the opportunity to meet and talk with Eric on the Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea cruise this February.  An amazing player and really interesting guy.  We actually spoke with Eric and his wife, LaDonna (who is adorable!) and her parents!  I have to think taking your in-laws with on a cruise is a genius way of insuring domestic tranquility! 

Eric put on two great shows and they were very close to our favorite shows of the cruise.  And when we spoke with him he was an open book when it came to his struggles with addiction and his time in jail.  I didn't pursue these topics but heard him discussing it with some other people at a "meet and greet".

Did I mention his wife is gorgeous?

I bought his album "A Night on the Sunset Strip" and got him to autograph it on the cruise.  Great album.

I hope Robert will allow this attachment, which probably appears as a copyright infringement.  This is from Guitar Techniques magazine, Spring, where Eric was the Blues lesson study.  This issue is out of print and so no longer available for sale.  And I am including only the intro page; no actual lesson material.  There is a paragraph devoted to his left handed playing style, even though right handed.

Have I mentioned his wife is beautiful?

EricGales001

Posted : August 25, 2018 10:14
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

I should also mention that when I saw him playing I thought he had about the most gorgeous Strat I had ever seen.  I found out later that it's not an actual Strat but a boutique signature model from a company called Magneto out of France, I believe.   Here is an episode of John Bollinger's Premier Guitar "Rig Rundown" about Eric's Rig:

Posted : August 25, 2018 10:28
robert reacted
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

Here is the guitar 

http://magnetoguitars.com/guitars/sonnet-raw-dawg

Posted : August 25, 2018 11:21
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

And how was that different from my link, Robert?  🤣  🤔 

Posted : August 25, 2018 13:54
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Ron!

What a great experience! I'm still trying to talk my wife into taking that cruise...

So tell me is Eric's wife a looker!!!? 😉 

I hope you gave Eric a few lessons from the MGA lessons here!!! 😉

Posted : August 25, 2018 14:19
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

Ooops sorry Ron - missed yer link!

Posted : August 25, 2018 14:26
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

And I just found out Eric Gales is going to be here next month!  He is actually going to be in Lincoln, an hour away,  on October 9 and then here, 20 minutes from my house, on October 10.  I'd like to say I'll catch him both shows but I doubt I'll get my wife to go to both!  Hmmm... maybe if I start working on it now?!?!

Posted : September 2, 2018 17:18
Share: