Clear all

Live stream Feb 27, 2024 at 3pm

7 Posts
4 Users
6 Likes
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

You are invited! I'm doing a live stream on Feb 27 at 3 pm Mountain Time.

If you are not on Mountain Time, use this timezone converter to find out what time that is for you.

Got questions? Write them here below, and I'll do my best to answer them.

The topic is about how to improvise over a tune with more chords, more specifically, The Allman Brother's version of "Stormy Monday".

This tune is the focus for the next MGA Jammers project! The last one is finished (Albert Collins style jam), and you'll soon see it on the forum. Esteemed member Craig is making the final touches on the performance video. It turned out great!

I had originally mentioned Feb 20th as the date for this, but something came up and I had to move it. 

There's opportunity to ask questions, but you have to be logged in to YouTube for that to work. If you don't have a YouTube account, you can set one up ahead of time.

How to join the live stream?

Log in to MGA 5 minutes ahead of time and follow the link on the right hand side on the member page.

Posted : February 17, 2024 12:26
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

Stormy Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just put it in the calendar Robert with multiple reminders.  See you there 

Posted : February 17, 2024 16:26
robert reacted
(@blufly)
Eminent Member

This is really wonderful, I just cleared my afternoon 3 pm meeting so I can log in. Thank you. 

Posted : February 20, 2024 21:59
robert reacted
(@bluesiline)
Prominent Member

I've never had Stormy Monday on my radar, sorry, but I've listened to it several times over the last few days. The jazzy chord progression is so wonderful and I'm blown away by the two Allman solos. They are so tasty and the bends are so cool. I'm delighted and I've expanded my musical horizons. Thank you!

Since I'm already asleep while you have the live stream, Robert, I would be particularly interested in how you explain the chord changes from bar 7 onwards in terms of music theory.

And I'm also curious to know which scales you'll use to spice up an improvised solo besides the G minor and major pentatonic scale.

Birgit

Posted : February 22, 2024 02:39
robert reacted
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks to you who attended!

> Replay

Posted : February 27, 2024 15:53
Bluesiline reacted
(@bluesiline)
Prominent Member

I just watched the replay, Robert.

Thanks for all the explanations on chord progression and ways to solo and what scales to work with. This has made a lot of things clearer to me 👍. 

I will now take this to heart as much as possible and try to follow your tips:

Try to imitate the vocals.

Leave space in between, let the band play.

Experiment with bends, as long as you come back on a good note.

Thank you again, Robert, for your commitment

Birgit

Posted : February 28, 2024 03:30
robert reacted
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @robert

Thanks to you who attended!

> Replay

No, Robert, thanks to you, from those of us that attended, for providing it.  I think I say say that for all that attended.  If not, thanks from me.  Very informative.  Definitely fun!

Posted : February 28, 2024 13:19
robert reacted
Share: