Clear all

Live Stream Sep 30, 2021

5 Posts
2 Users
4 Likes
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

I'll be talking about strumming and legato playing. I'll show you some exercises that have been very helpful for me.

Archived version here.

Posted : September 29, 2021 08:48
Bluesiline and Clayton reacted
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

Let me know if you have any questions for the live stream.

Posted : September 30, 2021 12:07
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

C major scale patterns:

https://app.box.com/s/jtj8yrdfdwnphfjuy9e27bc3u24tst4f

► Archived live stream here.

Posted : September 30, 2021 16:25
(@bluesiline)
Prominent Member

I just watched the archived live stream video „Legato and funky strumming“. To begin with the end of your live stream, Robert: Yes, it does make sense! – definitely!

I will use a lot of information and tips from this video. This will be a basis for me practicing the legato technique to sound better some day. And thanks for all the exercises you attached.

Also good that you talked about:

- the funky strumming technique too, as you said, the opposite of the legato technique and

- the right hand position during strumming: Only brushing the strings, movement not with the whole arm, not going up and down below the strings and high above the strings.

I have to internalize this even better.

A lot of material and suggestions to put into practice.

Thanks a lot, Robert,

Birgit

Posted : October 1, 2021 02:57
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter

Glad to hear it Birgit.

I'd like to highlight a few benefits from the legato practice, using a backing track or metronome to practice a scale:

1. Improves your scale knowledge
  2. Improves your timing and rhythmic freedom
  3. Improves your legato
  4. Improves your finger strength
  5. Improves your finger coordination
  6. Forces you to focus on fundamentals

Rhythmic freedom? Hm, well I just made the word up. What I mean by that is the ability to go between 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes, 1/16 notes, triplets based on those, and then any combination of them. Having that ability will allow you to play with freedom, rhythmically speaking. It will make it much easier to play more challenging phrases. It will also allow you to be more creative with rhythms, and that greatly benefits BOTH soloing AND rhythm guitar playing.

Posted : October 1, 2021 10:31
Bluesiline and Clayton reacted
Share: