Clear all

20 Best Guitar Albums of 2021

5 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Guitar World has given us a list of The 20 Best Guitar Albums of 2021. Some of these I agree with.

I'm a huge fan of Kingfish Ingram and, while I don't have the album, I've heard several tracks on the radio. And I'm a fan of Samantha Fish, having seen her live on the Blues cruise, and Billy Gibbons.

But I have to admit there are far more names on here that I am not familiar with than ones I am. I need to do some listening/investigating!

Your thoughts on the list?

Posted : December 23, 2021 10:10
Bluesiline and JestMe reacted
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

A lot of the artists on that list I'm not familiar with. I do love Julian Lage though!

Posted : December 23, 2021 15:07
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Should be interesting to check out our unknowns. Quite a few new names to me!

Posted : December 23, 2021 22:40
(@bluesiline)
Prominent Member

Ron, I can only agree with you, Robert and Chris. I also don’t know many of the musicians listed.

But, as a bluegrass fan, I’m all the more happy to find on position 15 the name Billy Strings. I’m a big fan of him since 2017, when I first came into contact with bluegrass.

I’m deeply impressed by his fast runs and I love his dexterity.

Birgit

Posted : December 24, 2021 01:54
(@clayton)
Community Manager

First, Ron, thanks for stirring my attention to artists and materials which I was not aware of.  I listened to some new (to me) and old familiar players, genres and styles.  Yet the review of what's served up in 2021 left me uninspired for the most part.  I think that lack of inspiration is a reflection of current popular culture driving album creation.  Mayer is truly one of the dogs at the top of the top of the heap.  And Gibbons is still full of great feel and tones.  Kotzen is also a cool cat in his own style when covering songs.  I'm pleased to see bluegrass and jazz relevant amid the banality of pop cultures mammoth elephant in the room.  

But where, children, where are the innovators?  Sigh...

Posted : December 24, 2021 08:53
Share: