Clear all

Previously Unseen 1967 Gibson Documentary

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@matonanjin)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Guitar World magazine just published an article about an unearthed film documentary discovered by Gibson employees. Here is the article. From that article:
"
"In the fall of 2020, Gibson employees were searching deep in the company's archives when they came across an unmarked reel of film.
Producers at the company's Gibson TV network got ahold of the film, and had it digitally remastered. What sat on the reel was a 1967 documentary called An Instrument of the People, a fascinating, time capsule-like look at how guitars were crafted in Gibson's former factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Now, 55 years after it was shot, Gibson has finally released the footage to the public via its YouTube channel. You can see it for yourself above.
Over the course of 20 minutes, the film shows viewers just about every step of the guitar build process – from its beginning as a nondescript piece of wood to the final quality checks the finished instrument endured before leaving the factory.
Interestingly, because it was shot in 1967, Instrument of the People doesn't feature a single Les Paul. It would be another year before the legendary model returned to the Gibson catalog, after its iconic single-cut design was axed in favor of the SG in 1961 and discontinued."

Here is the documentary:

Posted : March 25, 2022 09:25
(@robert)
Famed Member Admin

Wow, this sounds amazing! Definitely a must-watch from the sound of it!

Posted : March 25, 2022 10:46
(@jestme)
Noble Member

Very interesting! Thanks!

I have very fond memories of a 69 LP Gold Top Deluxe I once owned. I didn't realize that LPs were out of production from 61 through 67...! Might have given me more incentive to hang on to that guitar. It was my 1st good guitar. I loved it... I miss it all over again now! Of course, back in those days I was young enough to not mind the weight so much as I would now. Still wish I had it back!

Posted : March 25, 2022 17:03
(@bluesiline)
Prominent Member

Awesome video, thanks für sharing, Ron. Great insight into the production process, accompanied by beautiful Gibson guitar music.

60 to 90 days of work before the guitars could be strung. I’m very impressed.

Birgit

Posted : March 26, 2022 08:13
Share: